Edo student regains freedom after N2m ransom payment

Dare Babalola

Tope Oriloye, a secondary school student abducted in Edo State’s Akoko Edo Local Government Area on February 8, has been freed after her family paid N2 million ransom.

Oriloye and one Samuel Ilesanmi were reportedly abducted by gunmen at a community health centre in Makeke, Edo State, while Ilesanmi was there with his wife and sick son.

The kidnappers had earlier contacted the families, demanding N100 million for the release of the two victims.

The National Coordinator of the Movement for the Advancement of Akoko Edo People, Bode Ekundayo, confirmed the student’s release to Punch.

Ekundayo said the community was grateful for Oriloye’s safe return but noted that Ilesanmi, who is from Ososo, remains in captivity.

“We all give thanks to God for the safe arrival of Tope Orilloye back home last night after payment of N2 million. She is safe, healthy, and unharmed.

“We are still awaiting the good news of the second victim, by God’s grace. He is from Ososo,” the message read.

The Edo State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Eno Ikoedem, confirmed the student’s release on Friday.

She said, “I can confirm to you that Tope Oriloye has been released.”

The incident adds to a string of recent kidnappings in Edo State.

On January 9, seven indigenes of Imoga were abducted at a hotel along the Imoga-Ibillo axis. The gunmen initially demanded N100 million, later reducing it to N70 million and subsequently N40 million after negotiations. On January 19, the victims were released.

  • Related Posts

    Lassa Fever: 22% fatality rate exposes State-level gaps in outbreak response – Govt
    • February 20, 2026

    Ezekiel…

    Read more

    More...
    LAWMA: Two arrested over indiscriminate refuse disposal
    • February 20, 2026

    Dare…

    Read more

    More...