Abducted Oyo school principal cries for help in viral video



Dare Babalola

A viral video showing the principal of Community High School in Orire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Mrs Alamu F.R., pleading for urgent intervention after an alleged abduction has sparked fresh outrage and concern over insecurity in the state.

In the emotional clip circulating widely on social media, the visibly distressed principal said armed attackers stormed the school community around 9:30 p.m. on Friday, abducting staff members and students.

According to her, the victims had remained in captivity since the attack occurred.

“Mrs Alamu F.R., Principal of Community High School, Orire Local Government of Oyo State. Around 9:30 on Friday, we were attacked by a certain group of people and a good number of us were abducted, the staff and the students as well, and we have been here since Friday,” she said in the video.

The principal appealed directly to the Federal Government, Governor of Oyo State, Engr. Seyi Makinde, the Christian Association of Nigeria and other Nigerians to intervene and ensure their safe release.

“I am making this video to seek for help from everyone, starting from the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Oyo State Governor, Engr. Seyi Makinde, the Christian Association of Nigeria and all well-meaning Nigerians that they should come to our aid and settle this peacefully so that we won’t lose our lives,” she added.

The disturbing footage has triggered widespread reactions online, with many Nigerians expressing fears over the growing threat of kidnappings targeting schools and rural communities.

The development comes as Governor Makinde disclosed earlier that preliminary investigations into the Orire incident revealed major lapses in intelligence gathering and delayed reporting of suspicious movements before the attack.

Speaking on Saturday in Ibadan during the inauguration of the Nigeria Police Force’s newly established Violent Crime Response Unit (VCRU), the governor said security agencies were unable to act swiftly because critical information was not communicated on time.

“What we have gathered from the Orire incident indicates that there is still a major challenge with timely intelligence sharing. People must report suspicious movements immediately,” Makinde stated.

The governor stressed that effective security requires collaboration between residents and law enforcement agencies, warning that government efforts alone would not be enough to curb violent crimes.

He described the creation of the VCRU as part of efforts to strengthen security architecture in Oyo State amid rising concerns over kidnappings and organised violent attacks.

Makinde also sympathised with families affected by the tragedy, saying the incident had caused deep pain across the state.

“Our thoughts remain with the families who lost loved ones. May the departed rest in peace,” he said.

The Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, explained that the newly launched VCRU was designed to respond rapidly to violent crimes through intelligence-led operations and closer community collaboration.

According to him, officers recruited into the squad underwent specialised tactical and psychological training to prepare them for high-risk operations while maintaining professionalism and respect for human rights.

Also speaking, the Commander of the VCRU, CSP Olorunleke Babatunde, assured residents that the unit would operate strictly on intelligence and lawful authorisation.

“Our operations will be intelligence-driven and carried out only after due approval from relevant authorities,” Babatunde said.

The Orire abduction has further intensified calls for stronger security measures across schools and rural communities in Oyo State, with many residents demanding immediate action to rescue those still reportedly held captive.

  • Related Posts

    Court dismisses varsity don’s N2bn damages’ suit against OOU
    • May 17, 2026

    Iyiola…

    Read more

    More...