Dare Babalola
The Nigeria Police Force has condemned the conduct of a police officer, Newton Isokpehi, captured in a viral video threatening members of the public for filming police activities, describing the behaviour as unprofessional and contrary to the ethics of the Force.
In a statement issued late Thursday by Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Anthony Okon Placid, the police identified the officer as ASP Newton Isokpehi and said his remarks in the video were unacceptable and inconsistent with the standards and code of conduct of the Force.
The statement noted that the conduct of the officer contradicted ongoing reform initiatives aimed at promoting transparency, accountability, professionalism and citizen-focused policing within the Force.
According to the police, the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Rilwan Disu, has repeatedly maintained that members of the public have the right to lawfully record police officers while carrying out their duties, provided such recordings do not obstruct operations, compromise safety or interfere with lawful police activities.
The Force disclosed that the officer had been identified and summoned to the Anambra State Police Command headquarters, where disciplinary procedures had already commenced.
“The Nigeria Police Force does not tolerate threats, intimidation, abuse of office, or any conduct capable of undermining public trust and confidence in law enforcement institutions,” the statement said.
The police further reiterated that recording police activities remained a legitimate tool for public accountability and transparency and should not attract harassment or intimidation from police personnel.
The Force added that a formal statement detailing the outcome of the disciplinary measures against the officer would be released in due course.
It also appreciated members of the public for their continued partnership and constructive engagement in promoting accountability, professionalism and improved policing standards across the country.







